Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My very simple display

Debra from Georgia emailed me last week asking how I package and display my cards.

Simple isn't always best, but when displaying artwork of any kind, I find "simple" usually rings true.

Since God already made the plants I use so beautiful, I want my packaging and displays to be almost invisible, so that viewer's eyes immediately travel to the flowers.

Each individual pressed flower card is sealed in a clear cello bag, and my boxed cards are enclosed in clear plastic boxes that fold shut on both ends. I used to display all of my cards in various baskets, but then discovered the great acrylic card rack displays from cleardisplays.com and have been more than happy with them.

Coming up with a simple, inexpensive way to display my framed art was a little harder for me. Other artist friends use metal display grids to hang their art on, and although they are classy and durable, I was hesitant to make that kind of investment.


Thankfully, I passed by an old discarded ladder one morning, and after painting it white it became a sturdy but lightweight way to display my pictures. I also have strong rubber bands behind each picture anchoring the frames to screws attached to the back of each ladder each step.

On really windy days, however, the ladder isn't a good option - but so far this year our Friday Farmer's Market mornings at Northwind have been calm and beautiful. I am hoping this Friday will be the same!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Jean said...

Yes! We were at your display. Sorry I missed the opportunity to say hello. Love your pressed flower art.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Well, thanks for stopping by, Jean! I'm sorry I missed you too. I really need to learn to not wander away from my display. So many temptations there...

1:07 PM  
Blogger Rebekah Smith said...

hi, elizabeth!:-)

the stepladder was a grand idea!:-)...farmer's markets are so much fun!:-)...wishing you much success:-)

rebekah:-)

8:33 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hi Rebekah,

Thank you for the good wishes. Yes, farmer's markets are lot's of fun! The only problem is that I often spend all of my earnings there...
:)

Elizabeth

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Bonnielynn said...

Liz,
Your display looks great ! Nice job.

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home