Friday, November 20, 2009


Last night I went to my last Paper Batik class at at the Lemon Street Gallery in Kenosha, and this time I brought along some nature prints I made, to use as a background for my batiks.

Starting at the top left, the ginko print, and the two tall hosta leaf prints are on rice paper.  However, the bottom left geranium leaf print, and the black hosta leaf print on the lower right are on my handmade paper. 

I usually don't apply a lot of pressure to my handmade paper, so it tends to be on the soft side (applying pressure to freshly made hmp compacts the fibers, making the paper stronger), so I was curious to see if my hmp could withstand the repeated coloring and waxing involved in batik. 

When I got to class, I applied alternating layers of colors and wax to the prints. Because the pieces needed to dry thoroughly before removing the wax, that still needs to be done.  I plan on showing you the results next week, and I can't wait to see how they turn out myself!

Have a great weekend!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Patty S. said...

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing the end product!

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read the article. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Send Flowers to Jakarta said...

That was a really good post... thanks a lot for sharing...

12:45 AM  
Blogger Homemanager said...

Thanks for sharing what you are experimenting with! That is really neat. I made homemade paper years ago. I love experimenting with different types of media.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home