Friday, August 10, 2007

An Herbal Arrangement


Here’s one last short but sweet entry today for the “Flowers in the Home” series: Herbal Arrangements.

I grew herbs in my garden for years, but rarely used them. Often times I would be just about done preparing a meal when I realized that I could have put some basil in this, or thyme in that, or chives on this. A few years ago, I came upon an article in a magazine which had pictures of small bowls of snipped herb bouquets – they were adorable, and I immediately made one of my own. The whole point of the article was that if you keep a fresh herb bouquet in your kitchen, not only does it look inviting, you will be much more likely to incorporate herbs into your cooking.

Here’s how to do it:

* Select a colorful variety of herbs: basil, oregano, a bit of sage, thyme, chives, and any other herb that’s that you might have. If you grow nasturtiums, their edible flowers would add a wonderful burst of color. If you don’t have your own herbs, fresh herbs from the produce department, or farmer’s market will do just fine.

* Wash the herbs well, and gently shake off the excess water.

* Select a small bowl, add cool water and place the herbs inside. A vase could also be used, but it is easier to gently tug a sprig or two of herbs from a loose arrangement in a bowl, than a tighter arrangement from a vase.

* Keep the bowl on your kitchen counter by day, and place it in the refrigerator at night. Change the water daily, and the herbs will stay fresh for days. Replace with new sprigs as needed. Don’t throw away old sprigs, put them in the garbage disposal enjoy their delightful scent.

Now, don’t forget to use them! I’m off to enjoy an omelet with fresh basil and chives.

It's been fun to be a part of the 2007 Finishing School this week. I'm grateful for the opportunity, and hope you've been inspired to bring more of God's beauty into your home.

"...the beauty of each blossom speaks silently of God's love..."


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

I do the same thing -- forget to go out to get herbs to cook something. Great tip.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Elizabeth,
I know absolutely nothing about plants/flowers and would like to keep herbs in my home. I live in the desert Southwest and my home doesn't have a window that gets sunlight (for obvious heating reasons). I think that the extreme heat that I have out here would kill them if I placed the herbs outside. Will herbs thrive if they don't get natural sunlight?
Thanks!
Susie

2:22 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Susie,

Many herbs are really tough and I think you might be able to grow a number of herbs outdoors. I have seen rosemary and sage used in "xeriscape" gardens, and I also read an article once where a desert dweller made a rock garden, and placed the plants in places where they would receive shade from the rocks periodically through out the day.
I just googled "herb gardening in the desert", and there are a number of resources you could check out.
Basil and chives, however, might not withstand your intense heat, and yes, they do fairly well indoors with grow lights (full spectrum lights designed for growing plants). Google "growing herbs indoors" and I bet you'll find some good information.
Best wishes with this, Susie! Please let me know what you end up growing.

Elizabeth

8:47 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Thank-you!
=)

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home