Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Some things take so much longer than you think they will.

Last summer, after teaching one of my handmade paper making classes, I decided to come up with my own paper making kit that I could offer my students – since the ones commercially available tended to be either very expensive, or affordable but lacking in quality and durability.

I wanted nice pine frames for my mold and deckles, but I needed to find someone handier than I who could create the lap joint required for sturdy corners. My hope was to work with Inspiration Ministries’ sheltered workshop, but unfortunately despite all our attempts their clients weren’t quite able to manage the special lap joints. Hopefully I will be able to use them for a different project I have in mind for the near future, because they are an awesome ministry that I would love to be a part of.

At any rate, after coming to one dead end after another, I finally found a way to manufacture the pine frames, and the paper making kits are good to go. A year later! I was repeatedly reminded that when God closes one door, He opens another. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way.

The picture at the top is grass paper, made with recycled printer paper, and of course, grass! This recipe, as well as many other interesting papermaking recipes, hints and ideas, is included in the comprehensive instruction booklet that comes with the kit.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home