Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Good old Elmer's

Hi Elizabeth,

I am having sooooo much fun with the Microfleur flower press I ordered from you. I am making all kinds of cards. Birthday, graduation etc.
I am using dogwood blooms. I read somewhere that if you use a white flower you will need to treat it, in order for it to stay white. Is this true? If so what do I use?

Also, I am covering them with a clear paper and gluing the edges. Do you cover yours? What kind of glue do you use?
Thank you so much!

Nancy from Oklahoma

Dear Nancy,

I’m thrilled to hear that you are enjoying your new Microfleur and making lots of cards! Sorry that it took me so long to get back to you, but I’ll try to answer all your questions.

Regarding white flowers: I don’t press a lot of white flowers, but you’re right, they do tend to turn an ivory color after awhile. I have heard that people who use standard air flower presses (not the Microfleur) use Bon Ami cleanser… they put a little in a plastic zip lock bag and shake it very carefully, and then dust off the excess, and press as usual. I don’t know about using this method with the Microfleur in the microwave – I would worry about possible fumes from the cleanser. I have occasionally touched up Queen Anne’s Lace with diluted white acrylic paint to enhance their whiteness after pressing, and perhaps that would work with your dogwood blossoms.

I don’t cover the flowers on my cards with anything, although I know a number of pressed flower artists use clear contact paper. I glue down my pressed flowers well on a fairly thick piece of handmade paper, which is then mounted on heavy cardstock, so the flowers have a sturdy, stiff foundation to rest on, which protects them from the average trip through the US mail.

I have tried a number of different glues, including a pricey “botanical glue”, but have always come back to plain old Elmer’s Glue. It’s strong yet gentle on flower tissues, and best of all, it’s inexpensive! I buy it in the small children’s bottles, which are just the right size for precise control. Note: I now only use Perfect Paper Adhesive to adhere my pressed flowers!

There! I think that I’ve answered all your questions, but if you have more, just ask!

Kind Regards,

Elizabeth

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home