Monday, January 07, 2008

The first...

I came across an old computer CD containing this scan of my very first pressed flower art consignment. I made this for the friend who patiently helped me launch my first website - as a wedding gift for a friend of his.

I was terrified to do it - I didn't think I could make anything worthy of being a wedding gift...but the amazing thing about working with pressed flowers is that they are already beautiful, courtesy of the One who made them; I only have to place them in a new setting.

I really like this piece, but I wish I had known then what I have learned since then - in regards to adding pigment to the leaves (anything green - leaves, stems, etc. always fade) and in regards to sealing the flowers appropriately to provide a moisture proof UV resistant barrier. My framing standards have also improved immensely since then - I am really embarrassed to admit that I probably framed and matted it with a frame from Kohl's...now I only use custom made frames and archival matting.

Looking back, I am encouraged by how far I've come in my knowledge and skills...and really curious about what I'll know years from now! Copyright pressed-flowers dot blogspot dot com.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebekah Smith said...

elizabeth, it gorgeous!:-)...i'm sure the couple will treasure it forever:-)...

yep, those greens will fade!...when i frame, i use anti-uv acrylic, seal the artwork into the frame and put a do not hang in direct sunlight sticker on the back...

designmaster has some good color sprays for green, but i've had the best luck with artist's grade watercolor mixed with a drop of dish soap:-)

i was happy to see that you discovered ppa!:-)...great stuff!:-)...i like botanical glue too...it also has anti-uv protectant...

thanks for doing what you do:-)...i am always happy to see what you've been up to:-)

rebekah:-)

www.flowerox.com

6:57 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thank you for your kind comments, rebekah:-)

I also use watercolors with soap for large greens, such as ferns. I also like high quality "brush tip" markers when I'm working with small stems, leaves, etc.

I like seeing what you do as well!

Elizabeth

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home