Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Looking forward, looking back

Back when I was working full time as an Occupational Therapist in a rehab clinic, I absolutely hated doing my yearly reviews. I was all about living in the moment. As far as I was concerned the past was the past, and the future was safely in God's hands, so why waste time struggling to come up with impressive sounding goals? I intended to "do my best," and I was eager to move on to the next thing, not waste time muddling through priorities, facing past mistakes, etc.

Thankfully, I've come to see the value in reflection, and the wisdom of bravely facing past mistakes and areas of weakness. It's not comfortable, not fun, but necessary to move on to a higher level, in any area of our life.

So, off and on during the past few days (when I haven't been playing on our new Wii) I've been looking at various areas of my life with a critical eye, and writing down the areas I've fallen short. But, I'm also making sure I record and acknowledge my achievements with gratitude as well.

I have come across two great resources that have helped me in my yearly review that I'd like to share with you. For looking back at the art side of my life, I'm using Alyson Stanfield's Acknowledge yourself and celebrate! list.

More importantly, I have been taking a hard look at my spiritual life, and am working my way through these Questions to ask at the Beginning of a New Year. I am going through this list somewhat superficially right now so that I can see where I need to make concrete goals, but will review parts of it in depth later on.

I'm also narrowing down what my focus word of 2009 will be (ala Christine Kane's blog). Only a day and a half left to decide...what will yours be?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home