Thursday, March 11, 2010

My first ever painting...


Those of you have read my blog for any amount of time know that I am a botanical artist by way of glue - I take the beautiful pressed flowers, stems, leaves, etc. that God created and simply glue them down.

This past Tuesday I gave a nature printing demonstration at the Antioch Fine Arts Gallery monthly meeting.  Nature printing/leaf printing is something I've dabbled in, and look forward to doing more of, but I hadn't created any significant art pieces with my prints.  While preparing for the demo, I decided make a prints of a large maple leaf on a piece of handmade paper, and then (and this is really reckless for me) I attempted to watercolor within the outlines of the leaves.  I was pleasantly surprised at the results!  I even went so far as ordering a mat and frame for it this morning.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Flowers said...

Just gone through the painting on your blog. All I want to say is that you are blessed artist. Keep on sharing some of your masterpieces

5:49 AM  
Blogger Rebekah Smith said...

elizabeth, it's beautiful!:-)

wish i could have taken your class!:-)

rebekah:-)

6:01 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Rebekah, it would have been fun if you could have been there.

But, you should try nature printing - it's really easy to get impressive results. Here's a good free resource for you:

http://www.natureprintingsociety.info/

6:40 AM  
Blogger Aruna Sarode said...

This turned out beutiful! Looks realistic too. I was wondering if ferns would also make a good subject for this technique. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see more.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Homemanager said...

Beautiful work, Elizabeth! They look pressed! Can't wait to see your "new" line of cards and wall hangings!
Blessings!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thanks Karen!

Actually, I think that this painting turned out so well is a bit of a fluke! No new line of cards planned. :)

Elizabeth

10:57 AM  
Blogger Annie Fentz - Smith said...

Hi Elizabeth! Leaf printing is also fun on fabric! A plain silk scarf is transformed into a beautiful piece of art, simply with some fun shimmery fabric paints and using some differing leaves!

(((Hugs)))

Have a good day!
Annie ~*
www.pressedgarden.com

8:09 PM  
Blogger Homemanager said...

Elizabeth, You could do prints of your "fluke" :D I think they would make great notecards!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Aruna, a compliment from an artist like you is huge. Thanks!

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home