Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Free!

Today is another resource day – I want to share with you some more of my favorite free internet resources that I’ve found helpful for my pressed flower business.

Number one on my list today is Google – what would I do with out it? As a search engine, it is phenomenal. With it, you can find anything on the web! I find the best deals on cardstock, envelopes, framing materials, printer ink, and shipping materials. I can check out my competition, and find information on any topic I want to know about. I have never taken a class in papermaking or pressing flowers. I have learned 95% of what I know from reading whatever I can about them on the internet. For free! I love it.

I also make use of the free webmaster tools that Google offers, which have helped my web sites perform better in the search engines, which is key for good internet sales. And, recently I’ve been making use of Google Alerts, to learn more about certain topics I’m interested in. Simply go to the Google News page, and sign up for an alert on any topic. Then, you’ll receive an email alert whenever anything is published on the web or in a blog about that topic. I have Google Alerts on my domain names to alert me to new incoming links, and on pressed flowers, cooking with herbs and using handmade paper.

A word of caution: as amazing and helpful as Google is, it may occasionally lead you down a seamy path. Be ready to hit the back button in case you end up some place you shouldn’t be.

Another wonderful web resource is http://www.about.com/
What a fascinating site – one could get lost on there for days. I have found a lot of helpful information on website design, setting up and maintaining a small business, how to do any craft imaginable, blogging, computer maintenance, desktop publishing, cooking techniques, and on and on. Amazing. And it’s free!

One last resource that I’d like to recommend to you is http://www.flylady.net/
It’s kind of a wacky site, but I have found it very helpful for getting my house in order. The “Fly Lady” is touted as being “your personal online coach to help you gain control of your house.” Through barrages of email, she takes you on a journey of tackling your house “zone by zone” and helps you set up a daily, weekly, and monthly cleaning and organization plan that really works. Like I said, the site and her approach are a bit wacky, but I like the results I’ve achieved. I needed direction in this area, and her ideas have given me the structure I needed. My dear husband is very much a “neatie”, and when we decided that I would embark on my home business, I agreed to keep our home neat and orderly. Well, I’m not normally neat and organized, and I’ve failed more often than not in the past. But since I’ve realized that I need to pray about this area of my life, and since I made a commitment to keep on track with the Fly Lady, I am doing so much better.

We certainly blessed to have so many resources at our fingertips.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Cindy Garber Iverson said...

I discovered Fly Lady years ago and isn't it just the best thing ever? Thanks for visiting and commenting at Rosehaven Cottage. Hope you come back and enjoy our blog often. Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

flylady rocks!:-)...i sometimes think we artistic types need a little extra direction in this area:-)...i have a sign on my work room door that says...creativity is not a pretty sight!:-)

another wonderful free resource for pressed flowers is...

pressed-flowers@yahoogroups.com

lots of fun:-)

rebekah:-)

9:06 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

rebekah,

I need a sign like that! :)

Thanks for reminding us about the pressed flower yahoo group.

Elizabeth

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True, without google life will be miserable. This search engine is way better and ahead of others. Thanks to google for reaching this blog also. ha ha.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home