Friday, September 14, 2007

leaf mates


Yesterday I spent quite a bit of time working with pressed autumn leaves, trying to make a leaf collage picture that I would be able to donate to the art gallery I belong to for our annual silent auction coming up in a few weeks. Autumn leaf collages have always been popular with my customers, but I find them so hard to make! I select, and reselect many different kinds leaves that I've pressed, and then I arrange, and rearrange over and over until finally, just when I'm about to give up, I am blessed with an "aha" moment. A masterpiece! Well, not quite, but it is such a joy when something finally comes together.

Yesterday I was aiming for a large, bold composition that would encompass a wide variety of different leaves, with varied colors and shapes. It didn't happen. Something simple occurred instead. Why? I'm not sure. I believe that creativity is a gift from our Creator, but who knows why a certain picture happens one day, and a different one the next. I would love to gain more insight on that. One thing I do know: my art is a celebration of His work, and my hope is that it glorifies Him.

I really like this picture. I may just hang onto it awhile and make something else for the silent auction. I wonder what kind of picture I'll make next...

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sadie said...

Elizabeth, your art is beautiful! Looking through your ideas is truly inspiring.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Fabulous leaf collage.....one breathtaking picture after another!!!! Press On!!

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home