Monday, June 14, 2010

Flower Pressing Tips, Part I - Revisited

Back in April of 2005, I entered my first blog entry.  I reread it the other day, and was happy to see that it wasn't too bad, considering!  I've dusted it off and polished it up a bit because it contains some good information for my newer "pressed flower" readers. 

Flower Pressing Tips, Part I

* My most used press - I love the "Microfluer" microwave flower press. It's essentially two thick pieces of thick durable plastic, 4 clips, and a set of thick fleece liners. I use this press the most, because it's so FAST and easy. I can press about 15-20 decent sized pansies in about a minute. The color is exceptional - often the color seems richer after being microwaved, since they are both pressed and dried in just a little over a minute. There are a few flowers that turn strange colors, or don't tolerate the microwave at all, especially very moist flowers like impatiens.  Also, the timing can be tricky, i.e. how long to zap the flowers, but it just takes some patient trial and error. Please practice on some "not so perfect" flowers first. 

* Gently flatten the flowers - before placing them in your press. That way they have a better chance of pressing perfectly.

* Don't forget the leaves! - It's easy to get so carried away while gathering flowers, that you forget to snip a few leaves and stems. Find young fresh leaves, as they press best. Also, if the stems of a certain flower are thick and bulky, substitute a more slender stem from another flower.

* Cultivate a sense of wonder - Take a moment to look...really, really, look at a flower. See the intircate handiwork of each flower - the precise symetry, the irridescent glowing colors on such a tender canvas. How kind of our Creator to sprinkle such beauty at our feet!

* Cultivate a sense of humor - I try to gently knock the bugs off each flower I gather, but those little pests are persistent! Can you believe God made so many odd looking bugs? I try to be patient and carry those little bugs back outside, but after the millionth one...

* A few of my favorite flowers to press - Cosmos, osperspermum, pansey, viola, violet, verbena, coreopsis, calendula, transcantia, borage, edelweiss, mallow, and lavender,just to name a few.  Here is a complete list of flowers that I have found to press well in the Microfleur.

If you haven't pressed flowers before, please try it! If you have any questions, just email me. I'd be happy to help get you started!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Patty S. said...

elizabeth,

i love how you reminded us to have a sense of humor - bugs are certainly a force to be dealt with when pressing flowers. Might as well laugh about it!

Patty

10:50 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Patty,

You're right - there's no getting past bugs when a person spends so much time with flowers. I'm just thankful that they tend to be really small!

Elizabeth

10:52 AM  
Blogger Annie Fentz - Smith said...

Hi Elizabeth!

Personally, I am not a big fan of the microfleur. The clips are a pain and wiping the plastic off between flowers is also. But then, when I am micro-pressing, I am doing large volumes. I prefer the Lee Microwave Press. It is two heavy terre cotta pieces with the wool between. Love it! But I will say that I know alot of flower pressers who LOVE the microfleur.

Blessings!

Annie (Pressed Garden)~*

6:29 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hi Annie,

I had a Lee press but I dropped it! :(

It had never occurred to me to wipe the plastic off between flowers. I just keep going.

Anyways, thanks for stopping by today!

Elizabeth

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home