Tuesday, June 22, 2010

got basil?

I do!  It's definitely time to pinch back my basil today. But, since we will be celebrating the end of my son's little league season tonight, I won't have the opportunity to make fresh pesto for supper.  (We'll be eating at Taco Bell...please pass the Tums...)

Instead of pesto, I'm going to try this Basil Lemonade recipe from a good friend of mine.  It sounds great - I really don't think you can go wrong with anything as delicious as lemons and basil.

basil lemonade

makes 4 servings
-ingredients-

1/2  cup rinsed, lightly packed
fresh basil leaves

3 tablespoons of sugar

4 cups of water

1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon
 juice

4 sprigs of fresh basil

-preparation-

In a 2-quart glass bowl, combine basil leaves and sugar. With a wooden spoon, crush leaves with sugar until bruised. Add water and  lemon juice.Stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour through a fine strainer into ice filled glasses. Top with a few sprigs of basil leaves.

Enjoy!

7 Comments:

Blogger Aruna Sarode said...

That was a timely recipe. I just finished cooking Basil Chicken fried rice and still had more basil left. I tried your recipe the minute I read it. It was refreshing. I am going to keep a pitcher full in the fridge. Thanks!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Aruna,

so glad you liked the recipe - it is really refreshing, isn't it! Limes are on sale at our grocery store in town, so next I'm going to try basil "lime-ade."

Basil chicken fried rice sounds really good too!

Elizabeth

9:21 AM  
Blogger Anna Patricia said...

Thank you for sharing! I've been trying to grow basil from seed, I think I'll just head over to Trader Joe's for the plant!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Anna Patricia,

Same with me. I'm growing basil from seed too, but I got impatient and ended going out and buying plants. Besides, I don't think a person can ever gave too much basil!

Elizabeth

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Kailey said...

This recipe sure does sound delicious! I definetly plan on trying it next chance i get, Thanks!!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thank you for stopping by Kailey! It really is delicious - you'll love it. I'm making some in a few minutes to enjoy after supper - kind of like dessert!

Elizabeth

4:07 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

oh yum what a summer time treat for the late afternoon:) Thanks for sharing!

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home