Wednesday, July 07, 2010

I don't care for light blue...

I just can't stand light blue.  Like finger nails against a chalkboard, so is light blue to my eyes.  I don't like light blue walls, clothes, carpeting, or blankets.  Remember light blue eye shadow?  Thank God that's over with! At least I hope it is. 

However, there is an exception to every rule, and I have two.  I love light blue skies, and I love light blue tradescantia - otherwise known as spiderwort.  It's a native plant here in Wisconsin, and this time of year you can see it along shady roadsides - if you are up and about early.  The beautiful triangular flowers with their bright yellow stamens melt away by 10:00 am.  Tradescantia aren't easy to press, but they are definitely worth the extra effort.  I pressed these with the Microfleur which captured their color perfectly, but it was tricky getting them off the liner sheets with out tearing them. 

This card is one of 25 assorted pressed flower cards I'm making that will be included in gift bags for the judges in the Lake Geneva Flower Show later this month. 

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Coleen said...

I have spiderwort here in my Ukraine garden, but I didn't know it was a shade loving creature. Mine is in the sun, but I suppose it would flower longer in the day if it were in shade. It's been there about 10 years. Now I shall think about replanting it somewhere. The card is pretty. You can see one of these little beauties on my blog at about mid-July posting.
Coleen

11:44 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hi Coleen,

I saw your little purple spiderwort flower - beautiful! I actually have one that color, as well as fuchsia.

I think I should have written that mine are in partial shade - they get some sun, but not all day.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home