Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Brookfield Farmer's Market

One of my favorite places to be on a sunny summer morning is at the Brookfield Farmer’s Market, just outside of Milwaukee.

One or two Saturdays a month during the summer I drag myself out of bed at 4:45, pack up my latest pressed flower creations and my EZ UP tent, and set off for my 90 minute trip to Brookfield. I savor the early morning drive through the countryside, watching the sun gently waking up the world, however, once I pull into the parking lot it’s a race against time to set up my little “stall”. Not that I have a huge amount of pressed flower cards, framed art, botanical luminaries to arrange (I wish! On the contrary, I never seem to have enough) … but there are so many sights and smells that intrigue me. The scents of basil and onions, freshly brewed coffee and mouthwatering bakery fill the air. There are friendly fellow vendors to greet before the onslaught of customers arrive, and most of all, there are the flowers. Tons of flowers! Almost every kind and color imaginable, and I’m always so tempted to explore each and every flower stall instead of getting down to business and readying my little piece of parking lot real estate.

At 7:30 the crowd begins to arrive. The Brookfield Farmer’s Market has been a good venue for me. My cards and art sell well there, and they seem to be a good fit with the natural items sold there. However, between sales I still have plenty of time for one of my favorite past times – people watching. Dog watching can also be interesting (I have concluded that some dogs really do seem to resemble their owners and vice versa).

I’m very thankful to be a periodic part of the market. If you are ever in the area on a Saturday morning, please stop by.


Technorati Tags:

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home